Regulation on Aircrew - Introduction
The provisions of the Regulation on Aircrew are published in several documents: Implementing Rules (published in the Official Journal of the European Union) and associated Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC), Guidance Material (GM) and Certification Specifications (published on the Agency website).
Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 of 3 November 2011 laying down technical requirements and administrative procedures related to civil aviation aircrew was published on 25 November in the Official Journal of the European Union. It contains:
- The Aircrew Regulation opens with the Cover Regulation, describing the requirements for:
- the subject matter,
- pilot licensing and medical certification,
- existing national pilots’ licences,
- conversion of flight test qualifications,
- existing national flight engineers’ licences,
- conditions for the acceptance of licences from third countries,
- credit for training commenced prior to the application of this Regulation,
- credit for pilot licences obtained during military service,
- cabin crew medical fitness and
- entry into force and application.
- Annex I Part-FCL
- Annex II Conditions for the conversion of existing national licences and ratings for aeroplanes and helicopters
- Annex III Conditions for the acceptance of licences issued by or on behalf of third countries
- Annex IV Part-MED
The Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) and Guidance Material (GM) to Part-FCL and Part-MED were adopted by the Agency and published on the Agency’s webpage in December 2011. (ED Decision 2011/016/R AMC and GM Part-FCL and ED Decision 2011/015/R AMC and GM Part-MED).
The remaining annexes were published in the amending Commission Regulation (EU) No 290/2012, containing the requirements for the qualification of cabin crew, authority requirements for aircrew and organisation requirements for aircrew:
- Annex V Part Cabin Crew
- Annex VI Part-ARA (authority requirements for aircrew)
- Annex VII Part-ORA (organisation requirements for aircrew)
The Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material to these annexes were adopted by the Agency and published on the Agency’s website in April 2012: ED Decision 2012/005/R (GM to Part-CC), ED Decision 2012/006/R (AMC and GM to Part-ARA) and ED Decision 2012/007/R (AMC and GM to Part-ORA).
In addition, Certification Specifications for flight simulation training devices (FSTDs) applicable to organisations operating FSTDs and seeking initial qualification of FSTDs are available:
- CS-FSTD(A) published as Decision 2012/010/R on 4 July 2012
- CS-FSTD(H) published as Decision 2012/011/R on 4 July 2012
Further information on the Regulation on Aircrew can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions.